What could be more special than a holiday gift selected from the past? At Christmas time, the shelves of antique shops are filled to the brim with not only holiday-themed items such as vintage ornaments, tableware, and textiles but items that with a little creativity can be turned into a unique and special holiday gift in their own right. Two of the best places I’ve found to look for ideas that repurpose items from our past are Pintrest.com and Etsy.com. Armed with inspiration, head on out to your favorite thrift and antique shops to see what you can find and think up! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Ceramic crocks of any size and Victorian-era birdcages make great planters for all-year-long display
– Antique picture frames make whatever picture you put inside something special and worth displaying
– Glass bottle decanters or other barware filled with a favorite spirit are a great way to gift someone’s favorite drink
– Ceramic cooking bowls filled with recipe items and a handwritten recipe card make a gift that is both practical and fun to put together and receive
– Vintage holiday brooches and pins are keepsakes that make any clothing item more festive for the holidays
– Antique and vintage candlesticks with a supply of hand-dipped or aromatherapy candles light up any table setting or room
– Teacups and saucers are the perfect vessel for gifting tea and crumpets for a themed gift
– Whimsical cookie jars and vintage tins filled with homemade cookies and candies are a sweet gesture
– Hand-blown paperweights are beautiful to look at and practical to display on any desk or vanity
– Antique sterling silver serving utensils such as cake knives, teaspoons, and interesting serving pieces help to dress up a holiday table
– First/early editions of a beloved book show someone how well you know them and the authors they love to read and collect
– Hand-blown glass vases filled with a bouquet of fresh flowers is a welcome gift and something that will be reused throughout the year
– Vintage/estate jewelry is a gift that shows your appreciation for design and craftsmanship and the recipients’ style
– Hand-woven baskets make a practical and special delivery vehicle for your gift and a gift in its own right, something to be used and displayed long after the holiday season passes
– Pyrex bowls are a great way to deliver a home-cooked meal as a gift to someone you are thinking about
– Vintage purses and scarves are unique pieces of fashion that never go out of style and are hotter than ever for that special someone who has everything and knows and appreciates quality
– Add to a collection. What does that someone on your list, collect? Coins? Figurines? Tools? Glassware patterns? Pottery? Cast iron pots? Books? Comics? Tin toys? You can find it all on the shelves of an antique store or at antique markets and shows.
For suggestions on new places to shop, visit our Shop Finder pages here and look for our Annual Holiday Shopping Guide, online starting November 20th.
Happy Holiday gift-giving!